Question
Posted by: melanie | 2006/07/21

dizzy

Hi there I have been doing yoga for 5 months now. There are certain positions that we do (esp if head is facing/hanging down) that when i stand up i feel very lightheaded or dizzy. I have had low BP previously and also low blood sugar as well. Is there something I could eat maybe an hour before that we give me a boost before I start.

Hi Melanie

I would suggest a very strong possibility that it is BP related, since it does occur in certain positions, and the symptom that you develop when you stand up is a tell-tale. Of course, this does not rule out low blood sugar, and if you just eat a small meal, like a sandwhich, maybe some fruit about 30 to 60 minutes before your class, and the problems go away, then it's fixed! However, if it is a low BP issue, then you can consider adding more salt to your food (the natural solution) or you can see a doctor about medication. If the problem is severe enough, then this may be worthwhile. Hopefully some food will help though

Ross