Question
Posted by: Gilbert | 2004/01/27

Dizzy

Hallo Doc

I recently ran 21.1km at Isandlwana with a friend. It was also raining softly. To my surprise I found myself very dizzy at the end. My longruns up to then were already 26km and at a much faster speed. Could the slow speed or the rainy and humid weather be the reason for the dizzy bit. I also slept 4 hours after the race and then ran 7km feeling 100%.

Hi Gilbert
I think it is unlikely to have been the rain or slow running speed - it is more likely to have been hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) or something similar. Make sure that you eat well the day before a race of 21.1km or longer and ensure that you either have about 500ml sportsdrink about 2hrs before race, or a light, high carbohydrate breakfast. Also give me an idea of what you were drinking during the race, because you could have under or overhydrated.
Thanks.

1
Posted by: Gilbert | 2004/01/29

Hi Doc.

I drank only water during and before the race, but was n bit scared to drink to much. I also had n bit of an upset stomach.

Reply to Gilbert