Question
Posted by: Problem | 2004/11/18

Dizziness, Blurred vision, numbness

I am a 27 year old. Suffering from dizziness and numbness for the last 9 years, I have been to a few specialist one who, refered me to have a lumber punch to do some checks, but that never happen. The day I went to the hospital he (Neurologist) told me it is not neccessary to do the test. I had a many visits with my him, but unfortunately he left the country.

I when to a second neurologist who diagnosed me with polymyositis base on a blood test to check my CKP level my CK level was 722 at that stage (March 2004). He put me on prednisones. I am using the medication for the last 8 months.

I did some investigation myself on this condition (Polymyositis), but do not find the symptoms I am experiencing. My symptoms follows: Burning eyes, numbness, headaches (tight pressure between my ears and eyes), Dizziness, blurred vision, stiff neck, stiff jaw, sleeplessness.

Questions

1. Does the above mentioned symptoms exists in polymysitis suffers.
2. Do you think I should go for a second option?
3. Is it possible that I might have some kid of meningitis, due to the fact that some of the symptoms exists in meningitis?
4. How long does it take for a person who have the lowest risk form of meningitis to become really critical sick.

Will you please give me some guidance to answer above questions.

Thanks in advance
Apologies for the long mail

Problem, the scariest thing that I can think of that may be the cause of your symptoms is Multiple Sclerosis. One would expect some or all of the following symptoms in a person with polymyositis: proximal muscle weakness or rash, muscle tenderness and pain (usually less dramatic than weakness), polyarthralgias, Raynaud's phenomenon, dysphagia, pulmonary disease, and constitutional complaints, notably fever, fatigue, and weight loss. Maybe the best would be to see a different neurologist for a second opinion just to make sure. Just get all the results from all your tests before you go. Good luck.