Posted by: Anxiety? | 2008/07/09

Dizziness and Heart Palpitations

I have been on antidepressants for about 6 years. Recently I was given a Generic for Lily Fluoxetine (my original meds), which is Nuzak. I have started experiencing some really terrible side effects and quit it cold turkey. I have been off them for about a month, but now I'm starting to have heart palipitations, goosebumps and a dizzy feeling. I feels like a rush through my brain, as if I'm going to faint. Could it be the side effects of quitting, or something else? I'm allergic to the anaesthetic at the Dentist, and it is a similar feeling to the injection (adrenalin?) at the Dentist. I'm not using any medication at the moment, and have not been using any medication for the past 3 to 4 weeks.

Stopping most meds, especially ADs, "cold turkey" is rarely a good idea, except when advised by a doctor. And if you were on Lily Fluoxetine for years without symptoms, Nuzak would not be able to start causing side-effects, as it is totally the identical chemical. The symptoms you're describing sound like those many people describe if they stop such drugs abruptly, and are usually best managed by going back onto your original dose, and then withdrawing the drug slowl and gradually, as guided by your own doctor.
I would hope a dentist wouldn't need to inject you with adrenaline --- usually I'd think they'd use a local anaesthetic, and perhaps at times something like valium.