Question
Posted by: Cherie | 2005/11/22

Dizziness

Hi Doc.

For as long as I can remember, I've had terrible dizzy spells that occur when I stand up. I don't want my family to know about it, so many times that I've felt dizzy I crouch down with the excuse that my knees need to click. I've only actually passed out 2 or 3 times. I know this could happen if you stand up too quickly, but this has happend no matter how slowly I stand up and no matter how long I've been sitting for. This even happens when I sit for only 5 minutes. My blood pressure is fine and so is my iron, I eat well and drink water regularly. This even happens in winter. I'm 18 years old and this has been happening for years. Is there something wrong?

Cherie, it might be due to low blood sugar, a middle ear problem, kindey or liver problems, or orthostatic hypotension (the blood pressure doesn’t go up fast enough when you get up quickly) due to something else. The easiest would be to see a specialist physician and have it sorted out. Good luck.