Question
Posted by: moemelle | 2005/07/07

Divorced but he wants to stay on the same property how will it affect our daughter?

We are divorced less than a month now and seperated 15 months now - I get to keep the house, I want to move into the garden cottage and rent out the house.
He is currently staying in the cottage with his girlfriend - I have no problem with that - but now he wants to rent the house from me. How will it affect my daughter she is almost 6.
I am concerned that it will do her more harm than good. She is use to us not being together as a family now. I dont want to disrupt and confuse her any more by allowing the above mentioned situation.
Further more she has problems at playschool with concentration and sitting still in class and not relating well with the children her own age - teachers say she is very intelligent though. She is an only child with no cousins etc her own age nearby.
Can you help please?

I don't think it would be damaging fo your daughter, but it could be confusing for a time, as you two swop houses. I wonder why, if he can afford to rent the main house, he doesn't rather move somewhere else, rather than remaining so close to you ? A counsellor ( at his cost ) might help her accomodate to the changes more rapidly and with less confusion or worry