Question
Posted by: Trix | 2007/07/25

divorce effecting my daughter (2yrs)

Hi There

My daughter is just over 2 years old and we have been divorced for 7 months. We are trying our best not to let this have an effect on her - so she sees daddy as often as possible but he is living far from us. The problem is that when she returns after a weekend with him she is VERY emotional. She cries all the time, she wets her pants and she is very resistant to discipline & routine. We are on the same level with regards to the basic routine (bed time, discipline methods....) - What can I do to make this any easier for her.

One wonders what is happening during her weekend with him --- are there problems, tensions, etc., happening over there ? Have you discussed this with your ex ? What does he notice from his side, as she arrives with him, while she's there, and as she prepares to return to you ? Its good that you try to keep to the same basic routine. Its possible that a consultation with a good local child shrink could help clarify what's going on, and point you towards more specific steps to remedy this