Our expert says:
Family law expert
I would seriously consider bring a Rule 32 Application to force him to contribute to the costs, pending the divorce, you can do this at the Divorce Court. The Rule states:
32 Maintenance pendente lite , contribution towards costs, interim custody and access to children
(1) This rule shall apply whenever a spouse seeks relief from the court in respect of one or more of the following matters:
(a) Maintenance pendente lite ;
(b) a contribution towards the costs of a pending matrimonial action;
(c) interim custody of any child;
(d) interim access to any child.
(2) (a) The applicant shall deliver a sworn statement setting out the relief claimed and the grounds therefor, together with a notice to the respondent which shall substantially correspond with Form 6 of Annexure 2.
(b) The sworn statement and notice, signed by the applicant or his or her legal practitioner, shall contain an address for service and shall be served by the sheriff.
(3) The respondent shall within 10 court days after receiving the statement deliver a sworn reply in the nature of a plea, signed and giving an address for service, in default of which he or she shall be ipso facto barred.
(4) As soon as possible thereafter the registrar shall bring the matter before the court for summary hearing, on 10 court days' notice to the parties, unless the respondent is in default.
(5) The court may hear such evidence as is considered necessary and may dismiss the application or make such order as it thinks fit to ensure a just and expeditious decision.
(6) The court may, on the same procedure, vary the decision referred to in subrule (5) in the event of a material change taking place in the circumstances of either party or a child, or the contribution towards costs proving inadequate.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal
advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.