Question
Posted by: Maria | 2006/04/04

Diverticulitis or Diverticulosis

Years ago my partner went to a gatrointerologist as she was suffering from extreme abdominal pain. (my partner - at the time was 25 years old). She was put on medication which brought no relief. The doctor suggested that a colonoscopy should be done. The colonoscopy was done and the doctor advised that she had diverticulitis. He advised her to have surgery so that part of the colon could be removed. On reccomendation from the dr, an operation was done and 11cm of her colon was removed. After the operation, the doctor then advised that there is no diverticulitis on the colon and that it was "all in her head". My partner then went to see a different gastrointerologist, who said that the surgery was not necessary and should not have been done. Since the surgery my partner has been for no less than 3 colonoscopies - her colon seems to be normal.

My question is how can diverticles be present during a colonoscopy, then surprisingly have dissapeared before the surgery...

A letter was written from the doctor who diagnosed the "diverticulitis" to her GP advising that he colon "is full of diverticuls"

What on earth could have happened to these diverticles???

Please could you advise me whether diverticulitis "appears and then dissapears". Was is normal procedure to remove a part of the colon??? why were there no diverticulitis noted on the part of the colon that was removed??

Thanking you.

Hallo Maria
Diverticulitis should have been present on the removed colon if it was there in the first place, so the first diagnosis may not have been correct. There are 2 schools of Gastro-enterologists - the surgeon ones that promote excision of a part of the bowel and the physicians that are against operation.
Read more on http://health.yahoo.com/ency/healthwise/hw251743