Question
Posted by: KL | 2005/12/07

Disprin and Gaviscon

Dear Doc

I had 2 miscarriages in 2003 and were (believed to be, no proof) due to my blood thickening and not getting blood supply through to the 'little bean'.

I have since been on fertility treatment and just heard that I am pregnant again!

I was on EcoTrin(in 2004) but it burnt my stomach - gynae suggested I take a quarter of a Disprin every day (I am 3 weeks pregnant).
Do you agree? (any other advice on how to keep my blood thin/normal?)

I also suffer from heartburn (even before I was pregnant) can I continue with Gaviscon?

Lastly, given our history, I am due to fly to Cape Town on the 24th - do you think it will be okay?

Dear KL

Congratulations on the recent good news!

I am in agreement with the suggestion made by your gynaecolgist to use low dose aspirin. However, ecotrin is supposed to be less hostile to your stomach as it is, as we call it , "enteric" coated, and therefore it is unlikely that the alternative, ie disprin, wil substantially improve your symptoms.
The fact that you have suffered from heartburn even before the pregnancy, implies an underlying hyper acidity or rather a gastric hyper acidity problem. You may contiue to use Gaviscon as it is relatively safe.
Should you not tolerate the low dose aspirin at all, or if it severly aggrevates your symptoms, the alternative would be to use a low molecular weight heparin such as FRAXIPARINE in very low dosage. This is administered as a daily injection subcutaneosly; and can be done by yourself safely.

I would in addition further recommend that you use two other additional medications and that is a low dose cortison ( METICORTIN) and progesterone supplementation (UTEROGESTAN TABLETS or CYCLOGEST PESSARIES). However,I would still recommend that you consult with your fertility doctor in this regard.

I also suggest that you have an ultra sound scan done prior to the 24 December and establish that the pregnancy is progressing normally before flying to CPT. It is also advisable that you have at hand, the names of at least two gynaecologists in CPT in the event that an emergency should occur.