Question
Posted by: Cheyenne | 2007/04/03

Disorders

Hi;
I have had disorders probaly since 1989 and was assessed in around the early 90's for some of them. So, far I see a pshyciatrist approx. every 3 months for med checks etc. Well, last year he had me see another doc for possible ADHD and was diagonsed with it at a low level. I also have depression, anxiety disorder, panic disorder, and now possibly (a mood disorder with bipolar traits-he said). He (the pshyc doc), has said I'm a complicated case. My short term memory is gradually becoming a big problem and effecting my work and I need help from coworkers because I forget things a lot. It makes me very scared at times- my mind goes blank and its almost like an alzheimers episode. Its very distressing, scary, embarrassing, and I cry. People around me have said that I freak out over things, am to sensitive, and thats why I litereally dont have any friends. Lately my moods can change within 5 minutes time, I've been told. I'm worried if I'm getting the right meds and if I will ever be normal!? At the present time I'm taking: Lamictol, Larazepam, Alprazalam, Sertraline, and (Estratest for hormones). At times I feel like a guiny pig! What can help me?? Is there anything better to help all of this, and my short term memory loss? I hope this is enough info. for you. Thank you for your time.

It certainly sounds complex --- its most uncommon for somone to have apparently so many disorders. What I find more usual is that someone has one basic disorder, say, Depression, with elements of others, as in reality they do overlap somewhat. I would worry that the medications themselves could be contributing to the memory problems, concentration problems, etc. I can't understand why anyone might need to be on Lorazepam AND Alprazelam. Both certainly can contribute to short-term memory problems. Maybe it'd be a good idea to see a completely different psychiatrist for a fresh assessmetn and second opinion