Question
Posted by: anonymous | 2008/07/31

disorder recovery

Dear DietDoc

I' ve suffered with an eating disorder for 17 years. I am making a concerted effort to get over it. I know it' s normal to gain weight initially because the metabolism is so excessively slow. How long does it take to get back into balance so that you no longer gain weight just from eating? I suppose it' s situation specific but I' ve not been too bad for the last few months, just purging from time to time. Not as bad as it was before.

Dear Anonymous
I am so glad for your sake that you are managing to beat that eating disorder after 17 years. If you were very underweight then your body will try to return your weight to the normal range. For example if you are 1,6 m tall and originally had a BMI of 16 and weighed 41 kg, then your body would probably strive to return to a normal BMI of say 23 which would mean an increase in weight to 59 kg entailing a weight gain of 18 kg! If you find that you are struggling to stick to your resolve (those episodes of purging) or cannot work out what to eat to ensure balanced nutrient intake to repair the damage of 17 years of anorexia/bulimia, then PLEASE contact a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will guide your through this period of adaptation and also monitor your weight.
Holding thumbs that you recover totally.