Question
Posted by: Blondie | 2004/03/09

Dislocation of hip

I'm 28 years old, I haven't had time for much exercises but do play squash on a regular basis, yesterday morning I went for a 1km jog, only jogged for about 500m as my right hip dislocates, well I don't really know if it dislocates according to some friends, but the muscle around my hip is so painfull and I definitely feel some bone moving in my hip, I battle waking, I played squash last night, my hip was OK, but when I bow down or something the muscle pain in my hip is unbearable. I wondered if there's some sort of exercise I can do to strenghten my hips, or should I go and see a sports-doctor.

Hi Blondie

I think that the wise thing would be to see a doctor - as you mention, it may be something different from a dislocated hip. DIslocated hips often occur in infants, and are more rare in adults. The fact that you could play squash, but feel pain when bending down may indicate that a ligament is perhaps lax(loose) or strained, and certainly, I think that either a physiotherapist or a sports doctor will be the best person to see, so that you can at least have a definitive diagnosis.