Question
Posted by: Lala | 2006/07/24

Dislocated ribs

Dear Doc

About 1and a 1/2 years ago two of my ribs were partially cut off during a op. I only recently found out that it was dislocated. I had pain for all that time, untill about 2 months ago I was kicked in the ribs (karate). I felt my ribs moving and then the pain was gone. Now I feel if I do a lot of exercise, I get that same pain (but not as bad as I use to). I have to put a lot of pressure on it to move back. Is there anything I can do to keep it in place? The one rib was cut behind my back and the other one more in the front ( left kidney removed). It is if though my muscles is pushing it out. That causes my left side of my body being much weaker than my right side.

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Expert ImageChiroDoc

I would recommend that you consult an Orthopaedic Specialist and that an X/Ray examination be conducted to determine the exact nature of the apparent instability of the joint in question. If it continuously dislocates, surgery may be indicated to stabilise the joint. Strapping by an expert may sometimes help to diminish the problem - but it sounds like you will need more than this to permanently solve the situation.
Trust this helps.