Question
Posted by: Worried | 2007/12/13

Dislocated cervix

What causes the cervix to move to another place. The doc told me that my cervix is on the side (as oppossed to in my middle) and as such it will probably be difficult for me to conceive. How can this be fixed - in a cost effective way as I'm not on medical aid?

As the cervix is part of the uterus, displacement of the uterus is what usually causes the cervix to be in a differnt postion. This can be normal - 25% of women have a retroverted uterus. Sometimes chronic infections can cause the position of the uterus to be changed, and this can interfere with fertility. However, if it is just a normal retroverted uterus, fertility will not be affected. You will only know this by having further tests such as a laparoscopy.