Question
Posted by: Kittykat | 2006/04/12

Dislocated?

I have an indoors/outdoors neutered male cat, and I noticed this morning he is walking on 3 legs -2 back and 1 front - although he uses his sore front leg to scratch in the sand like they do when they want to urinate and so on. I also noticed a swelling over the sore leg's shoulder blade and he mutters at me when I touch this. Could the joint be dislocated? Thanks for your help.

Clearly your cat is in pain. I hope you have taken him to your vet for attention. Please do not allow this to continue. Any animal in pain deserves the right to veterinary care.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

2
Posted by: Kate | 2006/04/13

When my cat broke his leg - due to a dog bite - he still managed to use his "damaged" leg to scratch when he needed the loo.
I still took him off to the Vet and just as well because the break only showed up on the x-ray and not during the consult - during the consult he actually walked around normally and I felt a bit silly but Vet did x-ray anyway just to make sure.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Chill | 2006/04/12

Yes it could. It could also be broken, or he could have an abscess.

If it hasn't improved significantly in a day or so, or if he has any other symptoms, like pain or bruising elsewhere on his body, then take him to the vet. He may have been hit by a car, or he may have been bitten in a fight... cat bites are often tiny but deep puncture wounds which close up quickly, and then fester on the inside because they can't drain.

Reply to Chill