Question
Posted by: Angelface | 2007/03/02

Discpline

I am a single mom to a beautiful 23 month old baby girl. I suffered from PND and stopped my meds at the end of December. My problem now is that I have to discipline my baby. I am trying the time out thing but she thinks its a joke. For eg. She would get on the table and I would tell her to get off the table. She would do it seconds later again. I would tell her that she got to get off the table and if she does it again I will put her in the corner. She then does it again and looks at me and says corner. I then put her in the corner and she stays there for a minute. But she would do it over and over again. She doesn't listen to me.

My problem lies in that I am not an assertive person and tend to avoid conflict.

Please advise as to how I can make my child take me seriously when I tell her not to do things!

Her Dad talked to me about this last night and I don't know what to do!

Please help

Don't let dad see this as entirely YOUR task --- mom and dad have to be consistent in all discipline matters. Excellent responses all round, leaving little for me to add. Have you watched Supernanny on DSTV Channel 40 ?

6
Posted by: Anonymous | 2007/03/02

I don'tcare if it''s a girl, a deuce of a thrashing is all that will help.

Posted by: RMC | 2007/03/02

Use a VERY stern voice - I know what it is like to be a mommy and soft and all that. Have you tried taking away priviledges as punishment? Does she watch TV? You can ban her from TV for a day? My child is really limited it watching TV, but a few months back he had a tanrum over it so I told him no Disney Channel the next day. Another thing that works is a reward chart. I never liked it at first as I thought why should I bribe my child for good behaviour until I saw James Dobson's point of us being bribed for work! lol!

Mine has things like "I did not interrupt" and so on. Generally he is quite easy, he eats anything and everything and baths and brushes teeth and sleeps in his room no problem. But other things we definitely have to encourage I still have "I ate all my veggies" on it though to encourage him for good behaviour. You can try "I listened to mommy nicely" and gie her a smiley face or a sticker for it -- and take one away if she is defiant. AND still put her in the corner. Trust me, once they start seeing the groovy rewards they get at the end of the week they can't wait. ANd it does not have to be a toy - it can be an outing to the zoo or something.

Reply to RMC
Posted by: Angelface | 2007/03/02

RMC,

I am trying the naughty mat/chair/corner approach, but she thinks its a joke.

Reply to Angelface
Posted by: RMC | 2007/03/02

oh yes -- don't use the naughty chair for anything else, it is ONLY for bad behaviour. It might break your heart at first if she starts crying and says "sorry mommy" and all that, but leave her there for the full 2 minutes.

and her dad must back you up in front of her as well

Reply to RMC
Posted by: RMC | 2007/03/02

have a special chair in the corner "naughty chair" - when you put her in there, leave the room and ignore her. And the general rule is one minute for every year, so make it 2 minutes for her. Hope that works.

Reply to RMC
Posted by: Britty | 2007/03/02

Maybe try getting her interested in something else when you see her heading towards the table and she might just forget what she was going to do!

Reply to Britty