Question
Posted by: Reggy | 2007/07/14

DISCHARGE AND MERTFOMIN

Dear Doc

Kindly assist me with the following:

First question:

I am 4 month 2 weeks pregnant and I've got watery white discharge, should I be worried?

Second question:

I have PCOS, I used to be taking 850 FC dose 3 time a day, I thought he will ask me to stop taking them because he did a lot of blood test including sugar blood test and they all came back negative except one which was for meningitise. Now my problem is that he says I must continue taking them but I must take one not three. The doctor that put me on Metformin, I was told he cant be my doc anymore bcos the medical aid delayed paying and I did not do anything about it, and now my present doc is confused he doesnt now whether to stop me or make me continue, please advice.

Third question

My present doc did some test when I was 3 months and I tested positive for meningitise but he said I must not worry as I am immune against it, now my question is shouldn’t he give me some medication to cure this meningitise or shouldn’t he monitor it? He did a Down Syndrome test exactly at 4 months, and it was negative

Dear Reggy

The watery white discharge may be simply leucorrhoea, which is an expected normal finding in pregnancy. In general it is not necessary to use metformin once a pregnancy has been established, although some doctors would continue using it for at least the first trimester. In my opinion it is not necessary to continue with metformin.

Furthermore, it is not necessary once a person is immune to a disease to continue treating such disease.