Posted by: WP | 2008/09/09

Discectomy-nerve pain

I had a discectomy last year August 14th. (Two third of the disc broke off (L3/L4) &  went into my spinal cord at L6). My left leg has very little reflex &  the strengh is only 50%.My question I struggle with nerve pain, is there something that can speed up the recovery process for the nerves in my spinal cord?

I was a very active person in the past &  my
2nd question? I am currently swimming as advice by the Neurosurgeon. Do I do more damage to my spine or is it OK to be still active? If so what more can I do.

Thanks so much

Expert ImageArchive

Hello WP,
I recommend you consult your local osteopath. This will help with your recovery of your spine and nerve pain. For more information on osteopathy visit

You need to consider your posture at all times whether sedentary and especially when active. Your goal should be to reduce restrictions in the spine and associated structures as well as improving muscular support.
Swimming is OK if you are a competant swimmer and your technique is good. If you thrash around in the pool this is a bad idea. If this is the case try walking laps in the pool.

If you are able to sit pain free I suggest static bike. Sit upright and do not slump. Cycle 5minutes daily and increase duration by 5 minutes each month. This has a very positive effect on your pelvis and spine without torsional movements or impact.

Avoid the cross trainer at all costs.
Avoid sitting in the sofa.

Dr Guy Ashburner Osteopath

Posted by: WP | 2008/09/11

Thank you Dr Guy Ashburner for your advice, I appreciate it.

I went for swimming lessons last month in the UK  free styl is what was advice, because I can keep my back in vertical position

I can not sit too long, but I will add the static bike ride to my daily routine at Virgin Active.
Best Regards Wena

Reply to WP