Question
Posted by: jayne | 2006/10/25

disc space narrowing

hi, i've been having back pain for quite a while now, it feels as though i want to bend backwards to snap, i went for x rays which show disc space narrowing between L5 and S1, what does this mean? is it the cause of my discomfort. when i lie down i constantly have the urge to push my head and neck right back against the pillow, this makes a cracking noise and gives a bit of relief.
many thanks

Expert ImageChiroDoc

Hi Jayne
As we grow older, the disc spaces - especially those in the lower back are prone to a degree of degeneration. Earlier injuries can also contribute to such degeneration. The narrowing itself is not always the cause of discomfort and a bit of chiropractic care will often help to restore a degree of functionality which in turn can offer remarkable relief.