Question
Posted by: sideways | 2008/01/30

Disappointment

I've spent the last few weeks in interviews for a new position with a new company. After verbal interviews and written exams and many weeks of effort, I seriously thought I would get the position, I had a good feelign about it all and truly believed I was the right man for the job.

I am desperate for a change from my current position as I am feeling very stagnant where I am. I had a lot of hope riding on this and I was informed today that they decided to give the position to an internal candidate.

I feel very disappointed and think it is unfair that they wasted so much of my time when they had an internal guy lined up all along. I'm really struggling to make my peace with it.

Anyway, I guess there is little you can say but I just needed to vent but I still feel very unhappy about it all.

Is it possible to ask to see them, maybe someone from their HR dept or whatever, to be told in what way you might have been considered more deseving of the job ? I agree that all too often there is an internal candidate lined up, in which case it's cruel and a waste of everyone's time to interview anyone else.

2
Posted by: sideways | 2008/01/30

Thanks John. I feel that what you have described is exactly what they have done. It's very unfair as in the written exam the internal candidate would have had a major advantage.

Reply to sideways
Posted by: John | 2008/01/30

Its poor management and bad planning to conduct interviews for internal and external candidates at the same time. It is more usual to exhaust internal possibilities before engaging the world in general.

It is entirely possible that the internal person was pre-selected and that everyone else was invited along for the rise to legitimise the selection of what is known as an 'ideal candidate' in our company.

You have a right to be peed off but maybe you are better off without a company that may stoop to such levels. Continue to scout around and do not give up hope.

Reply to John