Question
Posted by: GH | 2004/10/25

Dinner?

This question has probably been asked many times.

When is the best time to have dinner? Before or after your evening workout. I get home around 18:30 - 19:00 have dinner, chill for around 30 min then go to gym, do cardio as well as weights. I will normally have a protien shake 30 min after gym then maybe a small evening snack, something like a few pro-vita's. Is this acceptable or is it better to have dinner after gym and your protien shake just before bed?

Expert ImageBodybuilding

GH,

I follow the premise that it does not really matter "when you eat what" but rather "what you eat when". There are so many theories and approaches to this that mind boggles.

Here's an example of what I follow-
Wake-up
Gym
Breakfast-50% daily carbs + sufficient protein
Mid-morning-20% daily carbs + sufficient protein
Lunch-20% daily carbs + sufficient protein
Mid-afternoon-10% daily carbs + sufficient protein
Supper-Protein + veggies
Snack-Protein

That is what I follow and it works for me so give it a try. To figure out how much carbs or protein you need to consume I'd adviseyou consult a dietician to determine that.

Keep well,

Conrad Booysen-Biokineticist