Question
Posted by: Stepdad | 2008/01/22

Difficult Stepson (14)

I've been part of my stepsons live for the past 7 years. We had a wonderful relationship, a better relationship he had with his dad.

The last 3 years changed into a nightmare, he treated me like sh*t, talked to me without respect. We fight constantly. I tried to talk to him to find out what's going on, but it doesn't help. I started snooping around his room, school bag, etc. to see if I can find something that can help me understand what's or to give me answers to why he changed. I found nothing.

I did found some serious porn photos and website links on his cellphone. I confronted him and he yelled he did not put it there. Someone else did.

Recently he made me feel uncomfortable, because he kept on staring at my privates. I found my underwear in his room, covered with cum. Again I confronted him and he simply walked away with "It's not me" Well I left it. A few days ago I found yet again website links, but this time to gay sites.
His response to this is someone send him funny sms's and there is links attached to this messages.

It won't help talking to his mom, because she believes she raised a little angel.

What is happening, what should I do. I love this child as if he is my own, but I it feel if my hands is tide behind my back.

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi there,

it does sound from your description that puberty has arrived and that he is having questions about his sexuality and becoming curious about this.

As you are another male and not his father this may have become a source of fascination for him. Whilst there are certain boundaries that need to be maintained, its also important that he feels he can trust you - snooping through his room and phone will only make matters worse.

However, it may be worth thinking about having a conversation with him about sexuality if this is possible. Alternatively there is quite a bit of literature out there that you can leave in his room for him. If he crosses certain lines with you about sexuality that make you feel uncomfortable it is about letting him know calmly what you feel is okay and what isnt.

Whatever his sexuality is he has to discover this for himself and will best be done if he knows that whoever he is it will be accepted.

Also bear in mind that this is a very turbulent time in his life and relationships are often strained. I would encourage you to speak with your wife about things - without her having to make judgements or confront him. You should be able to talk to one another about parenting him - consistency between the two of you is vital.

I know a childs emerging sexuality can be an uncomfortable thing, but if he feels accepted there should be less tension between you, and it will be healthier for him.

4
Posted by: Mitch | 2008/04/12

I have a similar problem. The step son is a lazy, lazy kid, he wont do his homework, he yells at his mom if he has to do chores, then he is all sweet to her as he asks her for some money. Of course she gives in and gives him money BEFORE the chores get done ( and then they DONT get done )
I never get my phone messages from him, says he forgets. Always leaves the milk out on the counter overnight, leaves lights on after i go and turn them all out. Its like he is testing me. Im tired of it. Mom thinks that no punishment will work ( I say, lets give it a try) Because he is just spiraling downword into a rotten kid!

Reply to Mitch
Posted by: Suzie | 2008/02/05

Use "tough love" send him boots and all to his own dad.

If he want to stay in your home he must act according to your rules. If he do not treat you with respect, do not tollerate that sh*t in your own house. Bottom line if mommy protest send her away as well. Her fist piority must be her husband.

Always remember at the end of the day "Blood is thicker than water".

His dad can deal with it.

Reply to Suzie
Posted by: Villian | 2008/01/23

Billy you idiot, read the post again, it's from " Stepdad". Catch a wake up!

Reply to Villian
Posted by: billy | 2008/01/22

At the moment his hormones is like fruitslad in a tumbledrier, the pornfotos is most proberly of older woman and young lads, and the gay fotos makes him feel that he does not know where he belongs, still trying to figure out his sex preferance. The fact that he stare at you private parts must be very uncoforetable for you, did you discuss this with your husband, and the fact that you get your underclouths in his room, is a sign that he is dreaming of having sex with you, or that he has no respect for you, you must discuss this with his father and I suggest that you and your husband get him proffesional help asap.

Reply to billy