Posted by: Advise needed | 2010/02/17

Difficult manager

Dear Labour Lawyer,

I hope that you can assist me.

I have never found myself in any difficult situation at the office before, until recently.

My manager has quite literately changed his entire attitude towards me –  he is now antagonistic to say the least.

He is now instructed me to seek his approval prior to entering into any billable communication with external service providers.
I have tried to explain that this is not possible as the service providers bill per hour –  this has the effect of each and every telephone call (made or received by myself), email and letter is billable communication. He has now said that he will revoke my responsibilities should I not adhere to this unreasonable (and impossible) request. I am a professional and senior member of staff (salary i the region of R500k per year) and have explained that I am not use to being micro-managed to this extend. I have on more than one occasion requested a meeting to discuss this issue with him but he simply refuses and says that the matter is closed. I have also explained that I cannot attend to my daily duties should I adhere to his requests. I have furthermore asked very direct and relevant questions which he has simply not replied to. All of our discussions in this regard is in email form and I have printed a copy of it.

I have now set up a meeting with his manager in an attempt to resolve this issue.

What do I stand to do?

Please remember that he will in future rate my performance.

I sincerely hope you can assist.

Thank you.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageLabour lawyer

Re: Difficult manager

It is necessary for you to raise a grievance. This grievance should be done in terms of the grievance policy and should be done in writing. if you have no joy then you may follow the grievance procedure right up to the highest level and thereafter to the CCMA.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.