Question
Posted by: Lynne | 2010/02/22

Difficult child

My daughter has very bad mood swings...she is all happy one minute and one thing can happen to upset her and she litterally freaks out completely...black and white...put her on vitamin b and omega 3 ...not sure why this is happening...please help..daughter is 15years old. Could she be hiding that she has been sexually active in some way?

We need to be cautious in using, as so many people do these days, what is actually a very specific technical term "mood swings" Many people in many circumstances, especially kids and teens, have a changeable mood, especialy teenagers, and need to particular provocation to do so. Yes, your daughter may have become sexually active, though that is unlikely to have the effect you describe. She could be having stormy emotional relationships with others, but that, too, doesn't really fit the picture you describe.

Most likely, she is suffering from that pretty-well universal disorder, adolescencce. And fortunately, most of us grow out of it in a few years.

5
Posted by: Woman | 2010/02/23

Your answer is in your letter - she''s 15!!!! Don''t you remember what it was like being 15? Please do not rush to have her diagnosed with this or that. Just put yourself in her shoes - her hormones are a hurricane right now. I would add evening primrose to her mix - it helps with pms symptoms.

One more thing - don''t close your eyes to teenage sex. It happens. And how you respond to it, will be how you and your daughter will always communicate about sex. If you are accepting, open minded, factual and supportive (i.e take her to the doctor &  get the pill &  condoms ), you will always have a wonderful relationship with regards to intimacy. If you are judgmental and negative, you will not have a relationship with her. And just because you don''t like her having sex, it doesn''t mean she''ll stop. And if she keeps it secret, soon you''ll be dealing with a teenager who is pregnant or has AIDS. In our modern, dangerous society, we cannot hide behind shyness and sweeping under the rug.

A last word, trust yourself as a parent. If you gave her a good foundation as a child, she will come through this hormonal upheaval fine. Remember, it will be over in about 3-5 years. Not long to wait at all, and then you''ll have a (hopefully) well adjusted, adult daughter. But it still is your choice what kind of relationship you will have.

Reply to Woman
Posted by: similiar | 2010/02/22

My daughter also went through some tough times at 11 and i thought I was going insane. 2 years later she seems to be calming down. I would say vitamins help as i gave her a concotion of stuff for 6 months that helped the frustrations of dealing with periods and body changes. Plus they find interest in boys and react to wanting independance. It is really a trying time and sometimes they dont hear a word we say. Try talking to her friends or their moms about sharing secrets that you may be scared of

Reply to similiar
Posted by: Liza | 2010/02/22

Vitamins aren''t going to do much if she''s suffering from an undiagnosed mental health problem like bipolar. I''m not saying that she is bipolar - perhaps it''s just the teenage hormones wreaking havoc. Perhaps you could put her on the mini-pill to keep the hormones in check?

Also - teenagers like to experiment with adult things and sex is one of those things. Although I wouldn''t trust those teenage surveys if I were you. Many teenagers brag about how far they''ve gone, but very few have actually gone as far as what most claim they have. I remember this quite clearly from when I was still in high school. And yes, things are different from when I went to school, children of this generation are more promiscuous. The best thing would be to sit with her and chat about it in a non-aggressive, non-confrontational way.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Kate | 2010/02/22

I think its normal for kids of her age. My sister is the same, she is also 15. I just totally leave her alone when she''s in one of her moods. She was always such a sweet and happy child.
I guess you grow out of it.

Reply to Kate