Question
Posted by: Missing Yoga | 2007/07/12

different type of Yoga?

I was doing sivananda yoga for about 6 months last year, but unfortunately had to stop in the beginning of this year due to a torn tendon in the wrist and tendonitis in the wrist. This wrist problem has still not been resolved (6 months later!) and thus preventing me from joining the sivananda yoga classes as there is a lot of asanas where I have to put my weight on my hands/wrists; especially the salute to the sun (my favourite). I cannot put any weight on my left wrist.
Is there any other form of yoga you could recommend that doesn't focus as much / which the yoga instructor could adapt so that I don't have to put weight on my hands?
FYI - I live in Cape Town in the Northern Suburbs.
Thanks a stack!

Expert ImageYoga

Hi Missing - most standard classes will involve a mix of postures and are likely to also include weight bearing in the hands. An experienced teacher should be able to modify the practise to suit your unique requirements but still allow you to participate. Alternatively you may wish to try private (one-to-one) classes, or a remedial or Iyengear style teacher since they can use props/modifications which may help. The general rule is that if you are breathing, you can do yoga so don't stop - you don't need to.
Chris