Question
Posted by: Mashadi | 2008/01/10

DIFFERENT FOOD GROUPS

Please help with my dilemma, a few weeks ago my son's doctor called me to give me a list of his allergies, my son by the way is 21months old.The allergies were:

Egg White
Dairy products
Wheat
Peanuts
Soy produts

My problem is my son still drinks formula milk, he drinks Isomil, which is soya based and Lactose free. If Im to take him off this milk, what kind of milk can he drink? He REALLY loves his milk, and I think it would be cruel to take him off the bottle now. I ve heard of got's milk and rice milk, please advise. My 2nd issue is according to the list above, which foods should he stay away from. Please advise, Im really worried.

Thanx
Mashadi

Dear Mashadi
Because your son has so many allergies to foods and is still so young, I advise you to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will have to work out a diet for your son that avoids the offending allergens, but still allows him to grow normally. She/he will also have to guide you when it comes to introducing new foods to your son's diet as he grows older. This is a complex problem that requires individual attention, so please do see a dietitian.