Difference btw Wellbutrin and Fluoxetine

Dear CS

I posted earlier this week re fluoxetine and sertraline in pregnancy. But now I' d like to exploer bupropion too. How does wellbutrin differ from fluoxetine in action? Is wellbutrin safe in 3rd trimester pregnancy? Could I change from fluoxetine to Wellbutrin and how?

So much depends on your particular, individual condition and the opinion of your doc. So you do need to discuss this with him. Wellbutrin and fluoxetine are significantly different, indeed wellbutrin ( bupropion ) is different from all other avaialbale ADs ). Drug companies are very reluctant to claim that ANY drug is safe in pregnancy. I know of no specific reports on Wellbutrin in pregnancy ; Bupropion Pregnancy Registry Advisory Committee has concluded that there's not enough data to enable us to be sure, --- we don't know enough to conclude that there is a danger to the baby, but we don't; know enough to be sure its safe

Posted by: Juniper | 2008/09/17

Dear CS

I have just been prescribed Wellbrutin after no success on Prohexal (fluoxetine?). As I suffer from generalised anxiety as well as depression, will Wellbrutin deal with this or do I need a separate anxiety medication?

Is it safe to take Wellbutrin straight after stopping Prohexal?

Reply to Juniper