Question
Posted by: Melleo | 2004/01/07

Difference between Sinusitis and Hay fever?

I would just like to know what I am suffering from, some say sinus some say hay fever. What is the difference? My symptoms are as follows: early in the morning (when waking) and late at night my nose starts to itch wherby sneezing soon after follows. I sneeze up to 30-40 times an "attack", which leaves my chest paining. Afterwards my nose is blocked and my eyes are very puffy. Once I blow my nose and I can 'smell' again the sneezing starts.

Can you please tell me what I have, sinus or hay fever. Its been going on for about 2 years.
Melleo

Melleo, it sounds like you have hay fever – an allergic reaction that mainly affects the nose and eyes. Sinusitis is and infection of the sinuses and is apart from the symptoms you have, also associated with pain and fever. You can try taking a long-acting antihistamine like Clarinese® for at least 2 weeks and see what happens. If it clears the problem up, you will have to take it on a daily basis for the time of the year that you suffer from hay fever. Good luck.

2
Posted by: Lesley | 2015/06/09

please can you tell me if iv got hay fever or sinus .i wake every morning around 4 30 sneezing my head off ,I have all good protection on my bed and I do suffer from ashma I'm 67 years of age and in fairly good health apart from my ashma

Reply to Lesley
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/05/22

Hi got symptoms that get worse in the morning and evening.got headache,cough,sneeze when I come near strong smells, nose blocked in the morning and feel bit of pain in my years all this happens when I sneeze or cough.i use to suffer from sinusitis but then it stop for long time. Can this be hay fever or sinusitis again? Sissy