Question
Posted by: mya | 2003/03/04

difference between cipramil and neurozac

I was prescribed cipramil by my doctor which costs about R450.00 pm Med aid enquired whether I would'nt like to try neurozac instead being cheaper (R150). Pharmacist said that the two drugs are diff. Wary to try neurozavcas cipramil works for me so far.

Dear mya,
Medical Aids, while spending happilly on heir administrators and executives, try far too hard to persuade patients to trade down in rugs, from something which works well, for someting that miht not, Too often such advice comes either from an administrator who knows nothing whatever about actual medicgal care, or a less experienced nurse or someone else with limited clinical experience hired to keep costs down, and taking no proper ethical responsibility for the welfare of patients.
I have never heard of Neurozac, but as the name sounds like Prozac, it may be another of the several generic ( chemically equivalent but cheaper ) versons of Fluoxetine ( which is the chmical name of Prozac ) now on the market.
Now, I am happy in almost all circumstances to recommend that people sould take any cheaper but equivalent version of Fluoxetine rather than paying the premium for the chemically identical Prozac. And if someone has been stabilized on prozac, they can be changed to another, generic version of Fluoxetine without problems.
But Cipramil, though also a member of the SSRI family of antidepressants, is significantly different from Fluoxetine in a number of ways, and patients who do well on the one do not always do well on the other.
Thus I'd tend to share your wariness about the proposal to changefrom the Cpramil, if it is suiting you.
I think the Medical Council / Health professions Council and similar bodies should be deeply concerned about some of the medical doctors, nurses, and other advisors to medical Aids, who make decisions about changing the treatment of patients they have personally never seen or examined, decisions which could be harmful to those patients, but without ever being held properly responsible for the results of their decisions.
And this is espcially troubling in psychiatry, as the medical Aids already discriminate shamelessly, and contrary to provisions of the Constitution, against mental health care, compared to other areas of health care.

2
Posted by: Been there | 2003/03/05

Have been on Nuzac and Cipramil works excellent for me quite happy to pay R450-00 for my sanity

Reply to Been there
Posted by: Sorted | 2003/03/05

The drug is called Nuzac and is a Generic of Prozac. I get mine from the GP at R 74 for 30.

Reply to Sorted