Question
Posted by: Confused | 2004/03/12

Dieting & your period

I am about 6kg overweight and every time I go on a strict diet to try and lose weight, I start having my period (even though I am on the pill). This happens after about 2 days of dieting. What is the reason for this?

Dear Confused
I can only think that dieting puts stress on you which then affects the pituitary which in turn affects your reproductive cycle. Please discuss this phenomenon with your prescribing dr as you may need to change the type of contraception you are using and/or use additional measures when you diet to prevent conception. It is also much more productive to use a balanced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' and compare this diet with what you are eating and make the necessary changes) and regular exercise to lose weight rather than to starve your body or use an unbalanced slimming diet.