Question
Posted by: Chantelle | 2004/01/06

Dieting problem

I am 24 years old and weigh 72. I know this is overweight and that I need lose about 5 - 7 kilos, but I am very unsure of how to go about getting the right diet. All the diets I seem to find have all kinds of funny foods that you have to eat and I would really like to find a diet where I can eat the food you normally eat. I also cannot afford going to the gym but I know I need exercise. Can you maybe recommend something please

Dear Chantelle
You are perfectly correct that most fad diets do prescribe all kinds of weird and wonderful products, etc, to achieve weight loss. The most balanced and inexpensive approach is to eat a balanced, low-fat, high-fibre diets making use of 'normal' foods (click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy) and to combine the diet with exercise. You can jog, walk briskly, run, cycle, swim, skip - anything to get your metabolism going - ask Fitness Doc for a home workout programme.

1
Posted by: Hamz | 2004/01/07

What is working for me, is i firstly spent about 1-2 weeks writing down what i eat. Then looking at the nutritional values on a day to day basis. I noticed that i was eating nearly 3 times my fat allowance! I've since started to eat smaller and more balanced portions. For example, i've had pasta mixed with beans, vegis, rice with tuna (no dressing/mayo) for lunch. The natural carbs will be ready for my body to burn in about 4-6 hours time (i'll be in the gym), the fat is as low as possible in what i've had also. Take note that you should limit or even remove eating any carbs after 5pm. As i've said before what eaten takes approx 4-6 hrs to get ready to burn. But that time, you are asleep in bed and the unburnt energy will be stored at fat.
Also, start drinking more water, aim to achieve about 2-3 litres a day. Start slow and build upto that amount. Don't drink 2-3 litres in the first day. Remember any changes you apply to your normal routine should be done gradually as the shock to the system will just have an elastic reaciton and you'll revert to your old habits.
I hope that helps.
Rgds,
Hamz

Reply to Hamz