Posted by: L | 2008/10/20

Dieting and Hypoglycaemia

Hi Doc. I have read many of the articles related to losing weight and the various diets on the website you offer. However, what variations should be considered when a person “ suffers”  badly from hypoglycaemia, and over-secretion of insulin? I doubt I would last a day on one of the recommended diets on the site, not from starvation but rather from major sugar drops. I have been diagnosed medically with overactive insulin production, and am currently about 15kg overweight. I have been to dieticians in the past, with little success, as the low blood sugar problem gets in the way of things. I do know about the various GI foods and their effects on blood sugar levels, but with all this knowledge, I am still not losing weight. Could you possibly advise? Thanks Larry.

Dear Larry
The type of diet that patients with hypoglycaemia should use at all times is a low-GI diet consisting of 6 small meals a day, which I presume your dietitians have worked out for you? For the added requirement of weight loss, the low-GI, 6 meals a day diet must then also be low in fat (this reduces the energy content and induces weightloss). Contact the Glycemic Index Foundation at: and ask them to refer you to a dietitian who will develop a low-GI, low-fat diet for you that keeps your hypoglycaemia in check

Posted by: Larry | 2008/10/21

Thank you for your reply.

Reply to Larry