Question
Posted by: Katie | 2007/02/20

Dietician vs Nutritionist

Hi, Please could you help me with what the difference is between a dietician and a nutritionist. I would like to study for one, and until a while ago I thought they were the same thing but on the internet I have found a few places that cite that they are different qualifications etc. Which is best to study, dietetics or nutrition and do they both lead to reputible careers in helping others with nutrition?

Thanks!

Dear Katie
Generally speaking dietitians are trained to prescribe diets for patients who suffer from conditions that require dietary modification (diabetes, kidney disease, obesity, insulin resistance, etc). They also specifically study degrees in dietetics. Nutritionists may have studied medicine or another degree such as biochemistry, etc, and then developed an interest in nutrition. They usually tend to work in the fields of public nutrition, food product development and research, and do not specifically prescribe therapeutic diets to individual patients. Contact the Association for Dietetics in SA at: (011) 789-6621 to obtain information about studying dietetics.