Posted by: just wondering | 2003/03/15


Hi Diet doc,

Im currently in matric at Kingsmead College in johannesburg and have a life long ambition of becomming a dietitian. I was wondering if you could perhaps give me your personal oppinions and veiws/ experiences of the actual degree and if you find that you get the satisfaction/rewards after all your studing? do u recommend the course? Also if you support Patrick Holfords courses in the uk and his veiws? i would really be VERY appreciative if you gave me some advice, because im getting anxious as to which varsity to attend, and if i did go to Stellenbosch would all my lectures will be in afrikaans?

Also.... i know, this is the last question, could you perhaps give me some referals to places where i could do some community service, in terms of nutrition... i have worked for a period of time with the dietitian at the Sandton Clinic, is there anywhere/anyone else that i can go to to experience being in the profession? ( i thought that it would be a bit dodge to shadow a private practicing dietitian... cause consultations are very personal)
Thank you very, VERY much! i look forward to your reply!

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageDietDoc

Dear Student-to-be
I must admit to you that it is rather a long time ago that I studied for my first degree and the curricula have changed considerably since then. I think what you need to do, is to a) phone the various Dietetic Departments such as Stellenbosch (ask them about their language policy too), UP (I know you can do your degree in English or Afrikaans), Potchefstroom, and the Technikons, that also give degree courses. I would suggest that you ask ADSA (the Association for Dietetics in SA) for advice on community service, as they would know where there are openings. Their e-mail address is:, or phone them at: (011) 447-4187.
Good luck with your career.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.