Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2004/10/09

DietDoc Re: Concerned over Anorexic friend

I tried to start conversation but she keeps avoiding the subject. When I mentioned expert help for her she just closed it right there and said not to talk about it, I tried again but she stood up and walked away. If she doesn't want to listen, what do you think I should do???

Dear Concerned
This is one of the greatest problems about Eating Disorders - the patients deny that there is anything wrong with them, refuse to talk about the problem and refuse help. At this stage you can only say to her: "I am your friend, I am worried about you and your eating disorder. If you get to the stage where you want to talk about it and get help, just tell me and I will be there for you". Then don't mention the subject again. Your friend must come to you for help and support when she reaches the point where she herself realises that she cannot go on like this.
Hang in there