Question
Posted by: Nadia | 2007/04/26

DietDoc please advise

Dear DietDoc

Thank you so much for you kind assistance re my boys. Referring to your answer on my post 1005. My boys are actually the other way around. My 3 yr old weighs 17kg and my 5 yr old weighs 13kg. Ive had my 5 yr old at many paeds but there seem to be no underlying problems. I have now come to a conclusion that his weight might be genetics. His dad is short and slender. Whereas I feel my 3 yr old is overweight and because Im not with him during the day (he is at his paternal Gran) I have no control over his eating habits. How do i fix this.

Naturally I am very concerned about their weight. I have lately notice that my little one is showing signs of sleep apnea. How does one diagnose this?

Any advice from you will really be appreciated.

Thank you once again

Hugs
Nadia

Dear Nadia
As I said before, it is a pleasure to assist you. Now according to International Tables, children aged 3 should weigh 13 kg, so your younger lad is decidedly overweight. Your older son of 5 should weigh 17 kg instead of 13! So both lads have a problem. I would really recommend that you take them both to see a a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). Take Grannie along too so that the dietitian can find out what on earth she is feeding you younger son and explain to the good lady that overfeeding is highly detrimental to the child and does not equate with 'love'. You need an outsider to get this message across to the Grannie because she will probably not take any notice if you say anything. The dietitian will then give you diets for the 2 lads to encourage the younger one to lose and the older one to gain some weight. This I do think is a situation for some professional intervention. You will have to take the younger lad to a medical dr to have the sleep apnea diagnosed as this is a potentially serious condition that needs attention. Sleep apnea is associated with overweight, so there is another reason why he needs to lose weight.
Hang in there, but do please get a dietitian to assist you.