Question
Posted by: Mum | 2005/11/25

Diet whilst breastfeeding

I'm breastfeeding my 4 week old boy and need to lose my pregnancy weight of 5 kg's. I also want to lose 10 kg's more. Which diet will be best (I find that my son is sensitive to eggs at this stage).

Please advise.

Dear Mum
Congratulations on the birth of your son. Breastfeeding is the most important gift you can give your child which will determine his health for the rest of his life, so you should ensure that nothing interferes with it, which includes not dieting to excess or doing excessive exercise that could make you lose your milk. While you are breastfeeding I would recommend that you try using an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). Just add 2 extra cups of fat-free milk or yoghurt to the daily intake to make sure that you and baby are getting sufficient calcium. You can also increase your energy expenditure by going for walks with baby every day in the fresh air.
Enjoy your baby