Question
Posted by: D. | 2007/06/26

diet to lose body fat and tone

Hi Vanessa,

I want to lose body fat (currently, 25%) and add muscle definition. I am 1.75 m tall and weigh 60kg. Please can you comment on my diet below:

After gym, 30g Whey protein in water
Breakfast: oats + 30g whey protein + fat free milk + 1 sachet canderal
Snack: apple
Lunch: chicken salad + pumpkin seeds – 30ml flaxseed oil
Snack: fruit
Dinner: chicken salad + pumpkin seeds – 30ml flaxseed oil
Throughout the day, drink 2 litres of water

I do resistance training 3x per week and intensive interval cardio 3x per week for 45 minutes.

What is your feeling of adding CLA to my diet?

Thanks.

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi D

It is important to always combine a carbohydrate with your protein thus the following:

•Especially immediately after gyming you need to replace the carbs you have drawn from your stores. Add about 20-30 carbs to your protein shake. You also need to consume this liquid meal within max 45 minutes after you training to hit the window period for optimum refueling.
•Breakfast is great!
•With both of your snacks add a little protein e.g. a boiled egg, some venison biltong or fat free cottage cheese.
•Lunch and dinner is great in term of protein and your good fats, but the carb portion is too low – add about 1/3 - ½ cup of lentils / chic peas / baked beans.
•Keep going with the water – excellent!!!

The calories for this plan is on the lower end of the scale which is good for wanting to loose body fat – once you have achieved the result you want you can slightly increase the amount of calories in the same macronutrient ratios to support muscle mass for toning.

Re the CLA it is a great natural fat burner, but you need to consume at least 3000 mg per day in divided dosages and keep going for at least six months otherwise you are wasting you time. This unfortunately then becomes very expensive – best is to stick to your diet and you will have awesome results, especially if you balance the macronutrients and include your good fats.

Take lots of care!
Vanessa