Question
Posted by: Hester | 2005/12/06

Diet to follow after operation

I am going for a hernia op and my sister is going for a
gastrectomy next year. Please can you give us information regarding the diet we'll have to follow afterwards.

Your reply will be highly appreciated as we are scared and need to be prepared.

Dear Hester
Are you having a hiatus hernia op (repair to the oesophagus?) or a standard hernia (e.g. abdominal, etc) operation? Unless you are having a hiatus hernia op you don't need a special diet. Your sister on the other hand should consult a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area), before she has the operation. The dietitian will work out a liquid diet for her which will assist with the post-operative recovery. This would also apply in your case if you have a hiatus hernia op or repair.
Don't be scared, thousands of people have successful operations every day.