Question
Posted by: Jennifer | 2005/11/25

Diet tips

Please tell me whether or not I am sticking to a healthy diet. I would really appreciate your advise. I am not overweight (BMI = 18.5) but I would like to maintain my weight.
Breakfast = 1 bowl of all bran mixed with a bit of muesli and some skim milk
Snack = banana
Lunch = 2 slices of toast with approximately 20g cheese and jam (unsweetened) or yoghurt (fat free) and fruit
Dinner = starch (potatoe - baked in the micro, couscous or pasta), meat/chicken/fish - maybe 70g and vegetables. I sometimes snack on something sweet - like a small bowl of ice cream or a bite size chocolate. This is usually 2-3 times a week but on weekends I usually indulge in something a little more extravagent. I cannot eat butter/marg so this is excluded from everything. I cook with the george foreman and use cook and spray when frying. I never drink fizzy drinks or hot drinks (only water). Should this be okay?

Dear Jennifer
If your BMI = 18m5 then you are tending towards underweight and I would recommend that you increase your energy intake so that your BMI increases to 22 (this gives you better reserves and is ideal for women). I also think you need to increase your intake of milk to at least 2 cups a day to boost your calcium intake so that you don't develop osteoporosis later in life. Don't starve yourself if you are already nearly underweight. Increase your intakes of lean meat and fish (eat the latter at least 4 times a week to increase your omega-3 intake) and eat more fruit and salads.