Question
Posted by: Mon | 2008/01/23

Diet sufficient in nutrients?

Hello,

I am a 23 y. o female, go to the gym 4 days a week for an hour, live a healthy lifestyle - no alcohol, no smoking, no coffee. I was wondering whether you could kindly let me know whether my diet is sufficient in the various nutrients/minerals needed. Here is a typical day:

Breakfast:

bowl of natural oatso easy oats made with water (occasionally with skim milk) and half a banana, a kiwi fruit and a few raspberries OR

bowl of all bran flakes with skim milk and small saucer of fruit as above

Mid-morning snack: a few cherry tomatoes and a piece of shaved chicken / 2 cream crackers with tapenade.

Lunch:

Large seeded wholewheat roll with smoked salmon, gherkin, low fat cream cheese and a peach OR

Nicoise salad (no dressing) and handful of grapes

Afternoon snack: low fat/ fat free yoghurt (usually a plain yoghurt)

Dinner: butternut, broccoli, green beans and tuna OR
pasta with mince OR
Chicken and sweet corn on the cob and sweet potato/white rice

Have water all through the day.

Am I getting enough calcium? Also trying to reduce my body fat percentage but worried I may be eating too much during the day even though my portion sizes are not too big.

Kind Regards,
M

Dear Mon
Your basic diet seems perfectly reasonable and should not result in deficiencies. You list that you ingest milk or yoghurt or cottage cheese 3 times a day, so this should provide you with sufficient calcium if you have 3 x 250 ml portions every day. If your portions are smaller then increase them so that in total you have 750 ml of low-fat dairy products a day to provide 1200 mg of calcium. Make sure that you do eat red meat about 2 x a week so that you don't develop iron deficiencies. You don't mention your present body fat % but keep in mind that normal women who are not top athletes have a body fat % of 24% so don't stress is your % is around 24. Don't reduce your food intake further as this will no longer provide you with sufficient nutrients for good health.