Question
Posted by: Desperate mom | 2008/01/22

Diet plan for a 2yr old

Hi Doc,

I have a two year old son who is very picky when it comes to food and I worry that I may not be giving him enough nutrition as he sometimes suffer from constipation. I sometimes guess that he's just too lazy to chew and hates water (which helps with softening of his stool)...but I've been adviced to mix water with a little bit of fruit juice wich works like a charm.

Firstly, there are so many products out there for toddlers and I end up confused on what to get my son.

Here is his typical diet, what am I doing wrong?

- yoghurt then kiddies whole wheat or flavoured soft porridge with full cream milk for breakfast

- fruit juice (because he does chew the fruit which I heard was better than the fruit juice)

- bread (with butter and peanut butter) and tea or juice for lunch

- yoghurt for a snack

- pap and inkomazi or pumpkin or mashed potatoes with gravy for supper

Dear Desperate Mom
The basic diet you describe for your 2-year-old son is quite reasonable. I would recommend that you also start adding some other protein sources to his diet such as minced meat, egg or boiled fish to ensure that he is ingesting some iron, zinc and vitamin B12. Click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on 'Diets for Toddlers' to see what and how much your son should be eating. I would recommend that you serve him some stewed dried fruit (1-2 tablespoons/day) with this breakfast to prevent constipation.