Question
Posted by: jen-jen | 2008/06/03

Diet pills

I stopped smoking 120 days ago. I picked up exactly 10 kg's since then. I was also diagnosed with thyroid problems and started with eltroxin 100mg on 01 May 2008. I weigh 70 kg and my height is 1.54m. I am completely overweight and needs to start something. Can I take diet pills even though I am on eltroxin? Currently I am not taking any eltroxin as I am waiting for my next supply. So can I take diet pills in the meantime? I am totally depressed with my weight issue.

Dear Jen-Jen
Your present BMI = 29,5 which is in the overweight category. To get back into the normal range with a BMI of 24 you would need to weigh 57 kg. I am personally not in favour of diet pills as they can cause negative side-effects, including addiction, and often don't do the job. You need to take your Eltroxin every day as it takes up to 3 months for your blood levels of thyroid hormone to normalise, so don't skip your Eltroxin. I would recommend that you reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life) for 30 min a day. Safer, less expensive and much healthier.