Question
Posted by: pulmla | 2007/06/05

diet for young diabetics

My son is 10 yeras and a diabetic since last year april he is not big ,the first dietician gave books on diabetic diet ,the second one gave me lecture recently in April this year that the child is not fat he must have snacks like simba chips and only avoid processed meats like polonies and viannas,she said the kids are not treated the same way as adult diabetics,this same lecture was given to by my local doctor please advise me more

Dear Pulmla
If you have been consulting clinical dietitians registered with the Association for Dietetics in SA, then I think you should take the advice that they have given you. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area and to check if these consultants are registered dietitians. The articles on this Website relating to diabetes which you can find if you click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on ‘Food as Medicine' and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes', related to adult diabetics. It is always advisable to consult a clinical dietitian for the diets of all diabetics, but especially in the case of a child that is only 10 years old. The reason is that the dietitian needs to work out a specific diet prescription for your child that takes his age, activity level, type of diabetes, medications, and other factors into account. So make quite sure that the individuals you have consulted are dietitians and then follow their advice.