Question
Posted by: Lee | 2007/03/14

Diet for weight training

Hi doc, I am a 32 year old mother of two. I weigh 78kg at the moment my height is 1.75m. I have been doing aerobics for two years and started doing weight training a month ago. I alternate the two. Since I started the weight training I just feel hungry all the time and crave for bread (seed loaf) its healthy but too much aint good and I have picked up 2kg. I do eat healthy most of the time. Can you please help me with a sample eating plan that will keep me satisfied and not gain more weight. I have been thinking of using Nutrex Lipo6 fat burner to assist me but it is so expensive don't know if it will work!. Thank You

Dear Lee
Your BMI = 25,5 which is marginally above the upper normal range (18-25). Because you are weight training it is perfectly possible that you weigh a bit more because muscle tissue weighs more than fat tissue. Remember that if you want to lose weight then you need to concentrate on aerobic exercise instead. If you are constantly hungry this is an indication that you diet does not contain sufficient low-fat carbs, which are not fattening, but do provide the body with the fuel it needs for intensive exercise. So you can certainly eat bread, seed loaf, pasta, high-bran cereals, and other carbs to fuel your energy needs without gaining weight. Cut down on your fat intake (37 kg/gram compared to 16 kJ/gram for carbs), to lose weight if this is necessary. You can try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), but if your are doing lots of exercise then you can have larger portions of the permitted carbs. Also click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on 'Diets for Sportsmen and women', esp the ones on carbs and carbo-loading. First give this diet a chance before your spend money on products that may not really do what they claim to do.