Question
Posted by: Foodie | 2007/03/19

Diet for two weeks

Dear Doc,

I suppose you had many of these questions already... My 16 yr daughter will be competing in a national sports competition in exactly two weeks time. She eats very badly - loves sweets etc. Since Saturday, i have told her not to eat any sweets, chocolates, fizz cooldrinks until after the competition. We have prepared healthy snacks for her and hopefully she will adhere to this at school too as it is in her own benefit. My questions to you are: Wll this help her? Will her body not crave the "sweet things" Will it be more of a negative than good. I have also started giving her Nestle milk drink in the mornings. She also takes a multivatimin, and a vitamin C in the mornings. She drinks Engerade during the day. What foods/ snacks do i give her in this two weeks. What about "Jelly Babies sweets"
What do i give her on competition day? The competition is over three full days. Thanks!

Dear Foodie
I think that your daughter is eating so many sweets and drinking fizzy cold drinks, not only because children love sweet things, but because they are rich in available carbohydrates which she uses as a fuel for her exercise. The human body must have readily available carbs to fuel exercise and recovery esp when competing over 3 full days. I would suggest that your daughter should use energy drinks like Energade, Powerade, or EnerG before, during and after her bouts of intensive physical exercise (I hope she has experimented with these sports drinks so see which one agrees best with her). Make sure that she has plenty of carbohydrates (breakfast cereals or porridge, bread, rice, pasta, dried and fresh fruit and fruit juices, and jam or honey) to help her build up her glycogen stores before the event (carbo-loading) and after the event to replenish the depleted glycogen stores. To read more about diets for physically active individuals, click on 'Fitness' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read the articles on 'Diets for Sportsmen and women', esp the ones on carbs and carbo-loading.
Good luck with the competition