Question
Posted by: lucyswan | 2003/02/20

diet for twisted colon sufferer

My mother suffers severe lower abdominal pain due to a recently diagnosed twist in the ascending colon, and some diverticulosis. After a week in hospital, she was advised to contact dietician to help her plan her meals to prevent the return of inflammation and pain.
What diet would be best for her to limit the inflammation and possible blockage of the colon?
She is 62, takes Eltroxin for hypothyrodism, Estraderm patches for hormone balance, and Cozar for high blood pressure.
She loves pasta and white bread, and I think that could be the cause of the constant pain she has.

Dear Lucy
Please take your dear Mom to see a clinical dietitian (phone (012) 998-5650 (mornings) to find your nearest dietitian) because her condition is far too complex to try and explain an appropriate diet in a few sentences. The dietitian will take all her special conditions into account and work out a tailored diet for your Mom. It really is worthwhile esp seeing that she has a relatively serious condition.