Question
Posted by: Lizzie | 2007/08/22

Diet For The Last 5kg's please

Hello Doc, I've lost 13 of the 18kg's I have to lost. I started gym and dieting in January. But I'm stuck now with the last 5kg's and its discouraging me and driving me nuts. I go to gym 6 times a week (four weight training days) - 2 days of 40min cardio and 4 days of 20min cardio - I'm working really hard and keep challenging myself. I eat from every group of food but don't know what else I can do. Please help. Apart from pain and severe bloating (I have gallstones) I am healthy and fit. What can I do to shed the stubborn kilo's. My goal was the end of August but I'm failing miserably. I'm 46 and have already been through menopause.

Dear Lizzie
Firstly congratulations on losing those 13 kg - you are a ***star*** - next time you are in the supermarket stack up 13 tubs of margarine and have a good look at how much fat you have already lost. It becomes more difficult to lose weight the nearer you are to your goal. The best thing is to stop stressing about the 5 kg (I know it's driving you dilly, but stressing produces hormones like cortisol that cause water retention and make it seem that you are not losing weight. To boost your morale, keep check of your vital statistics which must be decreasing as you lose weight and exercise. If you stick to this regimen that has already brought you such success, don't stress and keep calm and relaxed, you will lose those last 5 kg. About your gallstones? have you discussed keyhole surgery with your dr? these ops are not as invasive as the old-fashioned ones and it would make you feel so much better not to have to suffer from pain and bloating all the time. Give it a thought.
Hang in there, not far to go.