Question
Posted by: DM | 2005/07/01

Diet for PCOS sufferer

I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and am taking glucophage. Are there certain foods to avoid and also foods that will help? I am trying to keep a low GI diet but not sure what is / is not allowed.

Dear DM
I suspect that the dr has prescribed glucophage because you are insulin resistant. PCOS is often accompanied by insulin resistance. It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance or diabetes to consult a clinical dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your insulin resistance, medications and other conditions such as PCOS, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based in foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes'. Ask your doctor what type of exercise you are allowed to do and get more active, e.g. start going for brisk walks for about 30 min every day or join a good gym or Walk for Life because regular exercise helps to stabilise blood glucose and insulin levels.